Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Do you need to see a doctor before starting an exercise program?

I see this question come up a lot with beginners who just want to start going for walks. They don't see the purpose in asking their physician if this exercise program is the right one for them. Maybe they feel as if they know their body well enough. Unfortunately, that usually isn't the case.

Your physicians know your medical history and can see if anything may happen if you start a certain kind of training. For example, I have juvenile arthritis in both knees. So, if I want to train for a 5K, I need to go see my doctor and ask if my knees can take that pressure. If he says yes, I also need to know if I can follow a certain x week plan or will that be too hard for my knees. Can I go faster than this plan entails? Should I go slower? He knows more than I do that my knees are very delicate and need proper care in order for me to run a 5K. 

Even though it is important to speak with your physician, there are 7 questions you can ask yourself before making the appointment. If you answer NO to every question, it is assumably safe to start the exercise program. If you answer YES to ANY question, it is advised to see a medical professional before beginning.

Here are the seven questions:
  1. Has your doctor ever said that you have a heart condition AND that you should only do physical activity recommended by a doctor?
  2. Do you feel pain in your chest when you do physical activity?
  3. In the past month, have you had chest pain when you were not doing physical activity?
  4. Do you lose your balance because of dizziness or do you ever lose consciousness?
  5. Do you have a bone or joint problem that could be made worse by a change in your physical activity?
  6. Is your doctor currently prescribing drugs for your blood pressure or a heart condition?
  7. Do you know of any other reason why you should not do physical activity?
If you do answer each question with a "No" make sure you know the risks you are taking. It is really important to go speak with your doctor before starting an exercise regime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get Talking!