Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Americans Fight Against Laziness

I came across a video on YouTube recently in which Giavanni Ruffin is showcased. You can tell from the start that this man means business. He is ready to do whatever it takes to make his dreams a reality (his dream is to be drafted for the NFL). There is epic music (by Explosions in the Sky) and an inspirational speech (told with much emotion by Eric Thomas). This, my friends, was one of the most inspirational things I have ever encountered, but it got me thinking. Not only about me (and how I'm spending this summer cooped up in my parent's house), but this video made me realize that all my friends and family (except for my Dad) are lazy. A quote from the speech that stayed with me was, "when you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." My question is why are we, as a society, so lazy that success is something that seems unattainable to most?

Because we are lazy in our careers and everyday life, it affects our diet and exercise. Laziness, therefore, can have detrimental affects on your life. Even though it is okay to take a day off every once in a while, I think it is important for everyone to establish goals in every aspect of one's life. A promotion at your job is not just handed to you; you have to work harder than anyone else in that office to be able to secure that position. Losing a few pounds does not just happen overnight either. It takes work, perseverance, determination, and most importantly, PASSION. I think that is what Americans are lacking this day and age.

Passion is what makes someone go from good to excellent. Passion is why people work hard and achieve things never thought possible. Without the wanting and will to put everything in, no one would ever achieve anything. After watching the video, I took some time out to really think about what I want right now more than anything. I want to make a name for myself. I want to live a life filled with accomplishments only a select few see in their lives. I want to become the best at everything I set my mind to. In order to do those though, I cannot just sit on my butt and dream about it. I have to WORK at it. If that means losing sleep, then so be it. Laziness is NOT something I want to succumb to; I will not let it get in the way of my dreams. Will you let it get in the way of yours?

The Video


No comments:

Post a Comment

Get Talking!