Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Dairy: Good or Bad For You?

When I developed severe lactose intolerance at the beginning of my sophomore year of high school, my parents were extremely concerned. I already had weak knees from growing too fast, so they did not want me to be in greater risk of developing osteoporosis. I started by just eating yogurt (that was the only form of dairy that didn't really bother me), but within a month, my body was rejecting that too. I had to rely on other ways to get calcium into my diet. To this day, when people learn I do not consume dairy on an everyday basis (hey, sometimes I really like to eat a piece of cheesecake or some Cheetos), they go on about how I will have osteoporosis when I am older and that my lactose intolerance is all in my head.

Wait, what?

I usually just smile and chuckle (and then kindly walk away), but it does get me sometimes. Dairy isn't necessary in your diet and may actually be causing more harm than good. But have a look yourself:

Dairy can improve bone health by providing calcium, especially in children and teens because their bones are developing. Low-fat/Non-fat dairy has also been associated with reduced risk of cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, and lower blood pressure because of the potassium and vitamin D it also provides.

Unfortunately, full-fat dairy products have been found to be a leading cause in heart attacks and strokes. Also, animal protein increases the acidity of our bodies which our bodies don't like. To neutralize the pH, our bodies use calcium which they get from bones. Therefore, full-fat dairy products can actually be putting you at a greater risk of osteoporosis, not preventing it. Lastly, dairy products also contribute significant amounts of cholesterol and saturated fat to the diet, increasing the risk of heart disease.

So is Dairy good or bad?

Well, if you have no problems digesting it (unlike me) AND you choose low to no fat dairy products, then by all means, have dairy in your diet. But remember that the recommended daily amount is 3 cups (1 cup = 1 1/2 oz cheese). You do not need as much dairy in your diet as you may think.

On the other hand, if you want to try a dairy free diet, go ahead! There are other places you can get its nutrients. Potassium is found greatly in bananas, Vitamin D can be found in the sun (TANNING WOO!), and calcium (probably the most important) can be found in leafy green vegetables, almond milk, legumes, salmon, and fortified cereals!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get Talking!