Saturday, August 11, 2012

Self-Esteem: BOOSTED. Positive Self-Talk Time!

Did you know that the way you think about yourself can have a HUGE effect on your physical appearance? Well, researchers have showed that thinking of yourself as fat can lead to obesity later in life, especially if you are just average. And trust me, it happened to me once. I thought I was fat (when really I was perfectly average) and ended up gaining 10 pounds! (Don't worry, I lost it QUICKLY).

The perception of being fat is a psychosocial stress factor that is associated with gaining weight in the waist area. This can cause people to start skipping meals because for some reason people think that is the best way to lose weight. Hate it break it to you, but it is NOT. That is just a way to slow down your metabolism so that when you don't skip a meal, you gain even more weight.

To start thinking about yourself positively so that weight gain does not occur, I have developed a few steps here. These are going to be your positive affirmations that you must chant to yourself everyday.


  1. Think of the way you want to look like/feel like.
  2. Start by writing down "I am." These are two very powerful words in our brain because they trigger so many responses.
  3. Write out what you want to look like/feel like as if you already look/feel that way. For example, "I am at an acceptable weight."
  4. Next, add in an adverb with a positive connotation (or just a positive word). So, now the sentence is "I am happily at an acceptable weight."
BOOM. Write out this/these affirmation(s) (however many you want) on some flashcards or on a piece of paper and keep them somewhere you always will see them. You can keep them at your dresser, kitchen table, night stand, wherever! Make sure you read them to yourself every morning when you wake up. I also recommend reading them to yourself before you go to sleep!

The more content you are with yourself, the more likely you will reach you goals, so go positive self-talk yourself into success! (how much more cheesy could I get with that?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get Talking!